Meet with our mortgage broker and find out how much you can afford to pay for a home.
The first step is knowing how much you can afford, when it comes to buying, sellers are more receptive to buyers who have already been pre-approved. With the Pre-Approval, the buyer will receive a commitment in writing from the lender stating that the home you’re interested in is at or under the amount you are pre-qualified for when home searching. Lenders will typically allow you to pay them at the time when you close your loan.
Accumulate all the necessary information you will need when you file your loan application. Ask your real estate agent or mortgage lender for a complete checklist so that you are fully prepared. Some of these documents include:
- Income tax returns and W2’s for the past 2 years
- Most recent Pay stubs from employer (at least one month)
- Bank statements for the last 2 months
- An updated and accurate credit report
Make a Needs and Wants list
The first list should include the items you must have (i.e., number of bedrooms, bathrooms, square footage and the style of home such as single family, townhome, condo.) The second list should consist of what you like to have for example (pool, den, etc.) but are not absolutely necessary.
Be represented by a Professional
When hiring a real estate agent, find one that is working for you, there are rare occasions where a real estate professional represents both parties of the transaction but it’s important to hire someone with your best interests in mind.
Be in the Know
Make sure to take under consideration some of the essentials before you close on a property.
- Have the property inspected by a licensed inspector.
- Include the inspection & appraisal in your written offer.
- Before closing make one last walk-through of your potential new home.
- Read through the agreement one last time and make sure that no changes have been made that were not agreed on when closing.
Having a professional represent you is key, that way they will be able to keep track of all the details making sure you are satisfied when closing on a property.